• Welcome to Argonath RPG Fire Department. Please log in or sign up.

Suggestion: Fire Laws

Started by ~Legend~, October 15, 2015, 11:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Legend~

We have an extensive area dedicated to Fire Laws and associated procedures.

Since ARFD's inception, the organisation has been focused on advocating a professional style of roleplay, marrying the 'imagination' part of RP (what fuels the community) with legitimate knowledge from real world sources.

The great thing about this is that it sets a high benchmark.
However, a lot of reading material can also be daunting to players for different reasons; some may just want to get stuck into the game, whilst others could find it more technically challenging as English might not be their first language.

To create a lean, well-rounded ARFD I think we could summarise and create one codified set of guidelines which caters for all audiences.
What do you think?

SugarD

Quote from: ~Legend~ on October 15, 2015, 11:20:32 PM
We have an extensive area dedicated to Fire Laws and associated procedures.

Since ARFD's inception, the organisation has been focused on advocating a professional style of roleplay, marrying the 'imagination' part of RP (what fuels the community) with legitimate knowledge from real world sources.

The great thing about this is that it sets a high benchmark.
However, a lot of reading material can also be daunting to players for different reasons; some may just want to get stuck into the game, whilst others could find it more technically challenging as English might not be their first language.

To create a lean, well-rounded ARFD I think we could summarise and create one codified set of guidelines which caters for all audiences.
What do you think?
The Fire Laws themselves are simply just roleplayed Fire Codes for in-game use by those who want to actually use them, and are completely optional. There is very little in there that is specific to procedures or authority, as most of that is covered by each division and its leadership designs.

~Legend~

Quote from: SugarD on October 15, 2015, 11:45:01 PM
The Fire Laws themselves are simply just roleplayed Fire Codes for in-game use by those who want to actually use them, and are completely optional. There is very little in there that is specific to procedures or authority, as most of that is covered by each division and its leadership designs.

Do we need to have a section for them on the forum, or would it be more beneficial to provide a link/redirect to a credible website which has additional information to complement gameplay/RP that is optional?

At the moment the Laws are split up into multiple articles and the physical quantity is significant. It may just seem rather imposing on newcomers!

It might be worth having a central ARFD Academy board, where both the national training and procedures can be posted and the key items for individual states?

SugarD

Quote from: ~Legend~ on October 15, 2015, 11:55:12 PM
Quote from: SugarD on October 15, 2015, 11:45:01 PM
A central location for training has been in the works for quite some time, however the universalized academy still needs to be made. Every attempt we make at it, the people involved eventually go inactive.

Do we need to have a section for them on the forum, or would it be more beneficial to provide a link/redirect to a credible website which has additional information to complement gameplay/RP that is optional?

At the moment the Laws are split up into multiple articles and the physical quantity is significant. It may just seem rather imposing on newcomers!

It might be worth having a central ARFD Academy board, where both the national training and procedures can be posted and the key items for individual states?

PulseEffect

I would suggest codifying all the fire laws that are applicable in all servers into one set of regulations. It would help especially since the Fire Laws Section is quite expansive and a little bit confronting to the newcomer. As well as with the term "Laws" makes the newcomer think that they must obey by them.

^Former
[SA:MP SAFD] | SAFD Fire Engineer | Fire Marshal/State Counsel |
[VC:MP FDVC] | FDVC Firefighter |

~Legend~

Quote from: PulseEffect on November 29, 2015, 01:27:31 PM
I would suggest codifying all the fire laws that are applicable in all servers into one set of regulations. It would help especially since the Fire Laws Section is quite expansive and a little bit confronting to the newcomer. As well as with the term "Laws" makes the newcomer think that they must obey by them.

Yes, I think this could be a great approach, and perhaps one that will also support those for whom English is not a first language.

SugarD

Wtf happened to my last reply. The quotes got mixed up! D:

Allison

Would be renamed to a Fire Code if it becomes reality, which would eliminate the need for them to be called Fire Laws.

Quote from: ~Legend~ on November 29, 2015, 02:06:53 PM
Quote from: PulseEffect on November 29, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Yes, I think this could be a great approach, and perhaps one that will also support those for whom English is not a first language.
Should be able to simplify the current set into one global Fire Code, so having two wouldn't be necessary. If we create two of the same thing, people will be confused by what each has to do with each other, regardless of any notification saying they're both the same Fire Code.

SugarD

I forget the reason why I didn't call them "Fire Code" in the beginning, but I think it was related to users having issues with understanding what Fire Code actually was. Also, as I mentioned before, these are purely for roleplay purposes, as we cannot actually enforce them upon people for a variety of obvious reasons. They are actually taken from LAFD's Fire Code law book, (which I still need to finish converting over for some of them), and they were actually simplified a great deal compared to that book. I also cut out a lot of non-relative information. I do plan on going through it again and updating/simplifying it in the near future, but it will take some serious work, and I still need to find the law book on my external hard drive again.

PulseEffect

If you want, I can help you if you are able to recover the law book for it or I could try digging up it myself and codifying it myself lmao.

^Former

Camels100s

Like a boss ---- Never forget our fallen brothers 9/11 *NYFD*

Los Santos Awards 2015 : Firefighter of 2015

"VENI VIDI VICI"

"It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again"

PulseEffect

How does that have anything to do with this topic?

^Former

Camels100s

Quote from: PulseEffect on November 30, 2015, 09:01:19 PM

Cause it's useless to do Laws without any 'Persecution' to them. laws shall not be forced to ARFD personnel, but to entire people that go on FD duty.
For example 4 ARFD volunteers go to grow weed on duty, they broke all Fire Laws, what will ahppen if i report them? "We can't do anything for them, we're sorry"
Same example but with /FDban - They get tempbanned for 4 Weeks from FD duty. they will learn the lesson, and they will follow the Laws now. Imagine a life with laws but without the Courts, Laws will be useless. It's my mind of course.
Like a boss ---- Never forget our fallen brothers 9/11 *NYFD*

Los Santos Awards 2015 : Firefighter of 2015

"VENI VIDI VICI"

"It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again"

Allison

Quote from: Camels100s on November 30, 2015, 10:12:35 PM
Quote from: PulseEffect on November 30, 2015, 09:01:19 PM

Cause it's useless to do Laws without any 'Persecution' to them. laws shall not be forced to ARFD personnel, but to entire people that go on FD duty.
For example 4 ARFD volunteers go to grow weed on duty, they broke all Fire Laws, what will ahppen if i report them? "We can't do anything for them, we're sorry"
Same example but with /FDban - They get tempbanned for 4 Weeks from FD duty. they will learn the lesson, and they will follow the Laws now. Imagine a life with laws but without the Courts, Laws will be useless. It's my mind of course.
These Fire Laws / Codes do not pertain to fire duty at all. That would be something under regulations, which there is no official set and nothing is public in terms of departmental regulations and rules.

SugarD